If you have cats that live indoors, then you might be wondering about the best canned cat food for indoor cats, and in this review article, we will review a few products that fit into this category. Now, we don’t recommend that you feed your pet food that isn’t targeted towards them because the amount of vitamins and minerals inside won’t match what your pet needs based on the activity of the cat.
A pet that lives and does everything primarily indoors won’t benefit from the food that is targeted towards the cats that are a bit of a hybrid since it won’t have the vitamin D that is required of indoors cats since outdoor cats don’t need vitamin D in their food since they get it naturally from the sun. However, you won’t have to go through the hassle of finding the right canned cat food for your cat because we will be recommending products that are targeted towards the cats that live indoors.
How to Choose the Healthiest Canned Cat Food
- Cats are pure carnivores. A wild cat eats nothing but prey.
- Fruits and vegetables are not strictly necessary for feeding the cat, just like cereals.
- Therefore, the healthiest cat food for indoor cats will contain tons of protein, healthy fats and small carbohydrates.
- A carbohydrate-rich diet (as is often the case when cats are only fed with chunks) is associated with obesity and an increased risk of diabetes in cats.
- What about cornflakes? Is cereal terrible for your cat? The answer to this question is not easy.
- Cereals are certainly not a necessary staple food for your cat’s diet.
- However, the common claim that cereals are a common cause of food allergies in pets has not been scientifically proven.
- In any case, grain-free foods generally contain less carbohydrates than foods made with cereals.
- That’s why it’s certainly not a bad idea to choose a cereal-free option as the best food for your domestic cat.
Canned Cat Food Recommendations
Below are some products that we highly recommend for your pet. These were tested and have been noted for excellent nutrition value and performance, so if it fits inside your budget, you should get it for your cat.
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food
If you are looking for excellent quality cat food, then this is the first product that we would recommend because it comes with the best ingredients and therefore better nutrients for your pet. This product is 100% grain-free, which makes it better for your pet since it will help balance the nutrition for your pet and keep your cat’s diet a bit cleaner. As this article is targeting pet owners who have indoor pets, this product has an indoor formula which will help your pet maintain its weight through the help of abundant protein such as chicken and turkey.
Another reason that we recommend this product is because it is made naturally, which is beneficial in making sure that your pet is deserving the best. It is made without any wheat, corn, or soy, as well as no artificial colors of preservatives, which all contributes to a healthier meal. The one con about this product is that it is the most expensive product in this list, so if you can’t fit this food in your budget, then you should look at the products below which are a bit more affordable. It is important to note, however, that you are getting a bit more in terms of canned goods with this purchase than the ones below, so you are simply paying a bit more for better quality and more food.
Hill’s Science Diet Indoor Dry Cat Food
This product is recommended for those that are looking for a simple type of meal that will make it easy for you to clean up the digested food in the litter box and food that is easy for your pet to digest due to the natural ingredients. As research shows that foods without an artificial taste of preservatives are healthier and more natural to process in cats of all ages, this product is recommended if you want your pet to have an easier time and if you want to have an easier time cleaning up the waste. If you want to learn more about the effect of ingredients of cat food, check it out here.
This product is also proven to have antioxidant benefits which will help keep the insides of your pet a bit cleaner and help flush out the toxins inside of your pet’s body. This product isn’t as expensive as the product above, but it is still a bit on the higher side, so if this product doesn’t fit inside your budget either, then we recommend that you check the last product in this list that is the most affordable. It is important to note that this product is also the best cat canned food for weight loss, so if your pet is looking a bit obese, then you should start to use this food as it will help with the weight enormously.
BLUE Healthy Gourmet Kitten Pate Chicken Wet Cat Food
If you are a bit tight on budget and you’re okay with a bit of artificial taste inside your pet’s food, then this product is the last product that we recommend on the list. It isn’t that high up on the list even though it will delight your pet’s taste buds because it has ingredients that we don’t 100% recommend that you use. However, if you are tight on a budget, then it is a bit hard to have quality, healthy ingredients inside the food, which is why we have decided to include this on this list.
For a low-cost package, you get quite a bit of cans of cat food, so if you have a few cats, then this product is one to look at since it will save you a lot of money and delight your cats. Compared to other “artificially” created foods, we that you get this one as it is made in the USA and has savory gravy as one of the ingredients which is one of the best types of food that cats love. If you are tight on budget, but you still want to give your pet some quality, tasty cat food, then you should get this one for your indoor cat.
INSTINCT Original by Nature’s Variety Grain Free Recipe – Chicken
* Economical canned food for cats with a decent mixture of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. (Not the best for your cat if he has cholesterol problems.)
Calorific distribution : (about 205 calories per box of 5.5 oz.)
- Protein 36% – As a reader warned me, they put whole peas in their mixture and sometimes they are not mixed. The pea skin contains lectins that even people can’t digest. Be careful here.
- Fat 57% Fat 57% Fat 57% Fat 57% Fat 57% Fat
- Carbohydrate 7
- Contents :
- Water max. 70-75% of water 70-75%.
- Protein 10% min.
- Fat 6,5% min.
Main advantages :
- Contains chicken without cages
- Also contains peas and ground flaxseed.
- Made without cereals, potatoes, maize, wheat, soybeans, artificial colours or preservatives.
- PATE structure
- Gross source
This cat food is rich in animal proteins, real meat, fruit and vegetables, enriched with natural sources of omega fatty acids.
TIKI CAT Puka Puka Luau – Succulent Chicken Consomme
I usually give this to my cats as a snack between meals. It’s just boiled chicken and nothing else.
If you can afford it, it is a good option for a snack.
If you want to see the full ingredients list and other information about Tiki Cat Canned Food.
- Crude protein 16% min.
- Crude fat 2.6% min. 2.6%.
- Gross fiber max. 0%.
- Humidity 80% max.
- Ash 1.6% max.
- Taurine 0.2% maximum 0.2%.
Things I like:
- Hormone and antibiotics free
- Sunflower oil to nourish the skin and coat
- A balanced diet for cats of all ages
- Free from cereals, gluten, starch or flour and without gluten
With shredded chicken breast as the first ingredient on the box, you know your cat will be happy as soon as he knows it’s lunchtime!
Made with real broth, this cat food provides enough moisture to keep your feline friend hydrated.
It’s also packed with essential vitamins, omegas and taurine – it’s the complete balanced diet you’re looking for!
Best wet cat food for indoor cats
- Veterinarians often recommend a wet diet for cats because of its high water content.
- The added fluid is good for your cat’s urinary tract health.
- What are the best brands of wet cat food for indoor use? Let’s take a look at them.
- Proud in the variety of nature by Instinct Grain Free Grain Canned Cat Food
- Nature’s Variety Pride cat food is a natural granule-free formula that is a good choice for an adult indoor cat who happens to be a difficult eater too!
- They offer new protein choices as your cat turns its nose to the usual meat.
- You can try your cat with duck, lamb and rabbit.
Best indoor kitten food
As soon as they stop breastfeeding, kittens need nutrient-rich food, and owners shouldn’t worry too much about the overgrowth of indoor kittens.
Some veterinarians prefer wet food for very young kittens, others will let you choose wet or dry food.
It’s important to choose a high-protein, low-carbohydrate food and give your kitten (especially the youngest) a small meal 3 to 4 times a day.
Some brands of indoor cat food make both kitten and adult formulas.
BLUE Freedom Grain Free Kitten Dry Cat Food
Blue Freedom indoor kitten dry food that’s grain free and made with real deboned chicken.
It also contains DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) to support brain development in your kitten.
How to Choose the Best Cat Food for Indoor Cats
There are several problems with commercial cat food. In many cases, the carbohydrate content is too high and the water content too low.
Many recipes also contain low quality proteins or vegetable proteins instead of animal proteins such as meat, poultry and fish. In addition to your cat’s basic nutritional needs, these are things to consider when buying cat food.
Here are some things to look for in the best cat food for indoor cats:
- Healthy and natural ingredients. Your cat deserves a nutritious diet with natural and complete ingredients. Healthy ingredients provide high nutritional value, giving your cat the nutrients she needs to lead a healthy life.
- Rich in animal protein. As a mandatory carnivore, protein is the essential nutrient for your cat and is more digestible when it comes from animal sources. Find a recipe that provides at least 26% but ideally 30% or more protein.
- Healthy animal fats. Chicken fat and salmon oil are examples of high-quality animal fats. Find a blend of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to support skin and coat.
- Low carbohydrate content. Your cat’s carbohydrate content should be very limited and should only come from digestible sources such as whole grains and fresh vegetables.
- Complete and balanced nutrition. Most commercial cat foods are supplemented to ensure a complete and balanced diet, but it never hurts to check it out.
Now that you have a better understanding of your indoor cat’s nutritional needs, you are ready to buy a portion of new cat food.
If you still don’t know where to start your search, read on to see our best indoor cat food choices.
Nulo Freestyle Duck & Tuna Recipe Grain-Free Cat & Kitten Food
- Protein –12%
- Fat – 6%
- Fiber – 0.75%
- Moisture– 78%
- Caloric Content: 191 kcal/can
- Formulated for adult cats and kittens
- Rich in high-quality animal protein
- Fresh fruits and veggies
- Contains some thickeners (guar gum)
Wet cat food is generally richer in protein and moisture than dry cat food, but contains less carbohydrates.
This Nulo Freestyle Duck & Tune cereal-free recipe for cats and kittens is an excellent option for your indoor cat as it is rich in protein and moderate in fat and calories.
Fresh duck and chicken are the two main ingredients with fresh fruit and vegetables to provide dietary fibre and essential nutrients.
The whole recipe is full of healthy nutrients, including a blend of omega-fatty acids to support your cat’s skin and coat. It also contains chelated minerals to support nutrition.
Quality cat food with natural ingredients are recommended #1 because of their healthy effects on your cat. However, they do come at a cost, so if you care about your pets as much as you care about anything else that you own, then you should consider the food as an investment and help feed your cat the best that you can. If you cannot afford to feed your cat the best, then there’s still some artificial alternatives that are still quite healthy for your pet, so we recommend that you get whatever is the best for your cat and fits inside your budget.
What is the best wet cat food for indoor cats?, Is Fancy Feast wet cat food good for cats?, What is the best cat food recommended by vets?, Which cat food is healthiest?, What is the best canned cat food for older cats?, What is the best diet for indoor cats?, How much canned cat food should I feed my cat?, How many cans of Fancy Feast do you feed a cat per day?, What is the best canned cat food for older cats?, What is a good inexpensive cat food?, What’s the best senior cat food?, Is Tuna good for cats?, What is the best food for an old cat?, What ingredients should you avoid in cat food?, Is Rachael Ray cat food good for your cat?
Disclosure: We are a professional review company & our reviews are not biased towards any of the products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give marks to only the very best that is given by our author. We are very independently owned & the opinions expressed here are our own. However, if you purchase anything after clicking the links present in the articles then we get some commissions for it which help maintaining the websites expenses like servers, security etc.